Tomatoes are sweet juicy in taste containing soft reddish flash and seeds in them, mostly it is low-calorie food and used for making salads, soups or eaten raw blending with some veggies.
They are filled with antioxidants, low calories, vitamins, and minerals which makes them beneficial for our health. There are some health benefits, side effects, interesting facts and nutritional values of tomatoes are included in this article.
Health benefits of tomatoes:
Lycopene serum in tomato prevents lipid oxidation, thus creating a protective effect against cardiovascular diseases.
Also, regular consumption of tomato or tomato juice reduces the level of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. These lipids are the main culprit in cardiovascular diseases and are due to fat deposits in the blood vessels.
It also helps to reduce Cholesterol levels.
Tomatoes contain a healthy amount of fiber that combines bulk into the stool and thus ensures its smooth speed through the digestive tract is one of the main benefits of tomatoes.
It prevents constipation and other complications. Fiber content helps to free gastric and digestive juices and smooth digestion also stimulates peristaltic motion in the muscles.
It helps in controlling bowel movements and preventing conditions like colorectal cancer.
Lowers high blood pressure:
Tomatoes contain potassium, which is a vasodilator which reduces pressure in the blood vessels and arteries.
It helps in increasing blood circulation and it reduces stress on your heart and therefore eliminates the risk of hypertension and helps to maintain our blood pressure level.
Vitamin A present in tomatoes helps improve vision, prevent night blindness and macular decomposition.
Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene, lutein, and beta-carotene which are powerful antioxidants that are shown to protect eyes against light-induced induced damage, cataract development, and macular decomposition.
Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that acts against harmful free radicals that can damage our eyes.
Prevents urinary infections:
Tomato intake reduces urinary tract infections, as well as the incidence of bladder cancer. This is because the tomato water content is high in volume, which can stimulate urine.
Therefore, they are a diuretic which enhances the elimination of toxic substances from the body, as well as extra water, salts, and uric acid is a crucial benefit of tomatoes.
Promotes immunity health:
Tomato seeds and skin of tomato are excellent sources of antioxidant lycopene and beta-carotene which are also effective immune-boosting agents.
Vitamin C present in tomatoes also helps in boosting immune health and also helps to control stress hormones to keeps you energized.
Helps blood clotting:
Vitamin K present in tomato can decrease the risk of Blood Clotting by forming a protective layer around your blood vessels.
Collagen present in tomatoes is an essential component of skin, hair, nails, and connective tissue.
The production of collagen in the body is dependent on vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant, low intake of vitamin C is associated with the damage of skin from sunlight, smoke, and pollution which can cause wrinkles, damaging the skin and other adverse health effects on the skin.
Reduces the effects of smoking:
In your diet plan, due to the abundance of vitamin A, including tomatoes, it will help prevent this dangerous disease.
Nitrosamines are main cancer causing agents which are present in cigarettes.
The samurial acid and chlorogenic acid found in tomatoes help in removing the harmful effects of these cancers.
Strengthens teeth and bones:
Due to calcium richness, it improves the strength of bone and bone formation in the body which helps to maintain healthy teeth, gums and bones.
Facts of tomatoes:
- Including tomatoes in your diet can help you prevent diseases like cancer and diabetes.
- Tomatoes contain 95% of water and the remaining 5% is carbs and fiber.
- Around 200 years ago tomatoes were considered as poisonous because it belongs to toxic plant.
- Tomatoes were considered as fruits as well as vegetables before announced in the supreme court of the United States.
- Tomatoes are one of those top 10 fruits and vegetables that contains pesticide residue. Therefore wash before eating it.
- Tomatoes are 4th most popular vegetable around the world.
Side effects of tomatoes:
Due to the acidic nature of this juicy vegetable, it can cause many health issues. Not only a vegetable but also large quantities of consumption, tomatoes leaves can be extremely harmful. So here are some of the side effects of tomatoes explained below:
- Extra consumption of tomatoes can cause tomatoes toxicity in some people.
- Some symptoms of this toxicity fall in the throats of the throat and mouth, dizziness and sometimes death may occur.
- Due to their acidic nature, excess consumption of tomatoes can lead to acid reflux.
- Tomatoes cannot be grown organically, there can be high levels of pesticides residues which can cause side effects of tomatoes more vital.
- Tomatoes contain potassium and high potassium levels in the blood, which can spoil the kidney function.
- Lycopene present in tomatoes can also increase the risk of bleeding for those with bleeding disorders should be avoided.
Best time to eat:
- For breakfast or lunch, it will fill our daily requirements of vitamin and minerals.
The worst time to eat:
- Before going to bed because it will decrease your sleep quality.
Nutritional values of tomatoes:
|Nutrients||Serving size (Raw 100g)|