Rava Upma recipe is a traditional South Indian breakfast made from rava or suji. It can be eaten has regular morning breakfast or evening snack usually served with lemon slices or coconut chutney.
|Rava Upma Recipe|
- Rava or Suji – 1 cup (cream of wheat)
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Chana dal( black gram) – 1 tablespoon
- Urad dal (optional) – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seed (rai) – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 10-11
- Water: 2.5 cups
- Green chilies: 1 to 2
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- Salt – as required
How to make it:
- Heat a deep frying pan add one cup of Rava and begin to roast and keep stirring it till it looks dry or brownish in color.
- After that remove the rava from the pen and keep it aside.
- Now in that pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add one teaspoon of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal and urad dal (Optional). Fry them till it gets brownish in color.
- Now add chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves, peanuts. saute them for a minute.
- Now add 2.5 cups of water and salt for taste in a frying pan and stir it well. Now heat the water till it boils after boiling add rava slowly, stirring it well and mix properly.
- Cover the frying pan and allow the rava to cook or steam for 2 minutes on low flame. And it is ready to serve.
- Upma can be served with or coconut chutney which will add some taste to your Upma.
- You can again add chana dal to your upma for garnishing and to make it more delicious and tastier.
- Some people also add Kaju (nuts) in Upma and enjoy it with a coffee or tea.
- You can add some extra vegetables like tomato, potatoes or can be served with cucumber.
Health benefits of rava upma:
- Upma is a slow digesting food that can help you to keep your body fuller for a longer time and keeps your craving aside.
- Rava is made from wheat which contains vitamin and Minerals in it which will keep our immune system healthy.
- Minerals like magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus present in Rava our nervous system, bones and good for Kidney functioning.
- It is also a good source of iron that prevents anemia and increases our blood circulation.
- If you are adding nuts to your upma who had some extra calories and nutritional benefits with it.
- Semolina present in wheat Rava helps us to prevent over-eating in your stomach fuller for a longer period of time.
Nutritional values in Upma:
Amount per serving:
Calories – 559
Total carbohydrates – 72g
Dietary fiber – 6g
Sugar – 3g
Total fat – 21g
Protein – 15g