Poha (pressed rice or flattened rice):
Poha is easy and quick Indian breakfast made of pressed rice or flattened rice. It is a traditional morning breakfast for Indians, especially from Gujarat and Maharashtra Cuisine. This breakfast can be categorized as healthy breakfast, kids friendly (kids love to eat), packed with healthy nutrients and much more.
- Poha – 2 cups (thick as required)
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Peanuts – handfull
- Oil – 2-3 tbsp
- Green chilies – 3-4 (depends on how spicy you want to make)
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Potatoes – 1 chopped (optional)
- Lemon – 1 or half (optional)
How to make it:
- Wash poha (flattened rice or pressed rice) under running water using strainer drain the water completely and Keep aside for some time for softening.
- Now take a deep frying pan and add oil to heat on medium flame.
- First, add cumin and mustard seeds in the heating oil after they start to pop if you want to add hing powder you can add it is optional.
- Now, add some chopped green chilies, onions, curry leaves, peanuts and potatoes (optional). Saute them till onions and potatoes become reddish.
- After the color of the onions and potatoes as becoming reddish, add Turmeric powder and salt directly in the pan or you can also add it to your soften poha.
- Now, add soften poha to the frying pan and mix it well on low heat until the poha color turns to yellow.
- Cover it for some time on low heat till poha becomes hot, after that your poha is ready to serve.
- After the poha is cooked serve it on a plate and sprinkle some lemon juice on it to make it tastier.
- You can also add some dry grated coconut or coriander leaves above your poha or garnish them.
- You can also serve it with some kind of sauces or chutney.
- You can also consume it with green salads or garnishing poha with some green beans.
Health benefits of poha:
- Poha contains high fiber which promotes a slow and steady release of blood sugar levels in our body and prevents spiking of insulin levels.
- It is a healthy carbs source that contains 76% of carbohydrates and 23% of fats which helps to provide you required energy and keeps you fuller for a long time.
- Poha is light for our stomach and can be eaten as a morning meal, easily digestible and it will never cause you a bloating problem.
- It is a low-calorie meal and can be included in a weight loss diet.
- It is also rich in iron contents.
Amounts per serving:
Dietary fiber: 3g
Total Fats: 12g