Omega-3 fatty acids are the important nutrients required for our body growth and development.
Like other fatty acids, our human body cannot create Omega-3 fatty acids in our body so we have to get them from the foods which are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids or by adding omega-3 fish oil supplements in our diet.
Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are the three types of Omega-3 acids.
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential polyunsaturated fat with the double bond of carbon in the third position from the methyl terminal which indicates ‘3’ in Omega-3 fatty acids.
The benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids are:
- Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil help to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases or lowers the risk of heart attack when compared with those who not take fish oil.
- Fish-oil supplements in which Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is present that helps to curb stiffness and joint pain in our body.
- Intake of Omega-3 fatty acids helps to improve or boost memory and promotes brain health.
- In some researches, it was found that omega-3s help to have lower levels of depression, anxiety, nervousness, hyperactivity or any mental disorders.
- Omega-3 fatty acids (DHA) helps to improve the quality and length of sleep.
- It also helps to prevent the formation of blood clots and reduces high blood pressure to lower blood pressure levels.
- Asthma caused by inflammation and swelling in the airways of lungs or symptoms like coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath can be reduced by omega-3 consumption.
- Daily intake of Omega-3 fatty acids helps to reduce Triglycerides (bad fat stored in our body).
- Omega-3s can reduce bad cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol levels in our body.
- It also helps to keep our skin cells healthy, proper hair growth, and prevents dead skin cells, aging also reduces the damage caused to the skin by the sun.
Is a daily intake of Omega-3 fish oil supplements is safe?
Daily intake of Omega-3 acids should be up to 3 grams of fish oil in supplement form.
Taking more than 3 grams of fish oil may cause you the following Problems or Side effects:
- Stomach upset
- A fishy taste and burp in mouth
- If you are on other drugs or medication please consult your doctor.
- Fishy breath
- Loose stools or indigestion, gastrointestinal problems.
Foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids:
- Oily fishes such as Herring, Salmon, Tuna, Mackerel, Sturgeon, Bluefish etc. contains a high concentration of fish oil or Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Eggs and Chicken are also a good animal source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Flax seeds, Hemp seeds, Chia seeds, Mustard seeds are the seeds that contain omega-3 fatty acids.
- Walnuts and soybeans are also a good source loaded with fiber and protein.
- Brussels sprouts, Broccoli and Spinach vegetable also contains a healthy dose of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dairy products like Tofu and Cheese also contain a lower amount of omega-3 fatty acids in them.