What is diarrhea?
Causes of acute diarrhea:
- Viral or bacterial infection from food and water can cause you diarrhea.
- Sometimes Viruses such as rotavirus and flu are the common causes of diarrhea.
- Food allergy, food poisoning, junk food etc can also cause you diarrhea.
- Lactose intolerance or dairy products that contain lactose which is heavy to digest are causes of diarrhea.
- Some medications like antibiotics, chemotherapy, or medication for high blood pressure can also cause diarrhea.
Causes for chronic diarrhea:
- Irritable bowel movement.
- Inflammation in the intestine.
- Abdominal pain.
- Hormonal imbalance.
Surgery of the stomach or gallbladder can cause food to pass through the digestive system more quickly which can cause you diarrhea, it is reduced from time to time.
Symptoms of diarrhea:
- Frequent bowel movements.
- Bloody stools.
- Abdominal cramp or pain.
- A headache.
- Loss control of bowel.
- A large volume of stools.
- Decreased urination.
- Thirst or dehydration.
From the above-given symptoms, it is not necessary that you have all the symptoms from above it can be one or more than one symptoms from above.
Treatment and Prevention of diarrhea:
- Frequently watery bowel moments can lead your body to lots of fluid loss which may cause you dehydration so drinking plenty of fluids, juice, water, or energy (Electrolytes) drink can keep you hydrated.
- You can eat low fiber diarrhea friendly food that will firm your stool such as bananas, white rice, oatmeal etc.
- Avoid junk food add frequently wash your food to remove bacteria from it while cooking and serve food immediately after preparing it to prevent it from food poisoning.
- Wash your hands frequently after bowel movements and before you eat.
- Don’t drink tap water or refrigerated water that is not filtered, always drink filter water or boiled water to avoid bacteria and viruses.
- Always avoid caffeinated drinks which contain caffeine and dairy products that contain lactose that is heavy to digest by digestive system when suffering from diarrhea.
- If you are suffering from diarrhea for two days and the symptoms continue you should see a doctor and take some medications with his prescriptions.
The food you should avoid when diarrhea:
- Beans and chickpeas.
- Coffee (caffeine).
- Green leafy vegetables.
- Soft drinks and alcohol.
Medication for diarrhea:
- Loperamide (Imodium).
- Bismuth Subsalicylate (Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol).