What is dengue fever?
Transmission of dengue viruses:
- As this disease is transmitted by an infected mosquito (Aedes Aegyptus and Aedes albopictus viruses are found in most of them) and not a contagious disease that transfers through human to human contact, so it is also known as mosquito-borne disease.
- If a human is suffering from a virus or dengue disease and if mosquito bites that human then the mosquito is infected and this way the dengue virus is transmitted from one person to another person through mosquito bites.
- The four serotypes of dengue virus are closely related but very different from each other which means if a person is immune to one serotype that doesn’t mean the other three serotypes can’t infect that person.
Symptoms of dengue fever:
Other symptoms include:
- Sudden high fever
- A headache
- Aching of muscles and joints
- Skin Rashes
- Internal bleeding from nose or gums
- Low blood pressure
Following are some of the serious symptoms of dengue fever:
- Heavy bleeding from nose and gums
- Intense pain in the stomach
- Regular vomiting
- A sudden drop in blood pressure
Treatment of dengue fever:
- Vomiting or high fever can dehydrate your body so to prevent dehydration drink plenty of clean and boiled water.
- Medicine such as city Paracetamol or Tylenol which will help to lower the fever and relief from muscles and joints pain.
- Take plenty of rest until the fever is gone.
Note: Medication such as Ibuprofen or Aspirin (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should be totally avoided because it may increase internal bleeding.
Prevention of dengue fever:
- Stay away from mosquito bites or use mosquito repellents to avoid them.
- You can use bed nets while sleeping on your bed at home or anywhere to avoid mosquitoes bites.
- Also, you can clean the places where mosquitoes breed such as stagnant water for a long time in pots or any other open water reservoir.
- Clothing like long sleeve shirts and pants will help you to cover your skin and prevent you from mosquito bites.
Foods to eat to recover from dengue fever:
- High protein foods
- Coconut water and Vegetable juices