What is Common Cold?
Common Cold is a sickness or infection caused to the upper respiratory system by many alternative viruses. Cold is the most common infection that has been spread entirely all over the world. They are transmitted by viral or infected air-bone droplets or through direct contact with person to person.
Usually, this virus long last for maximum 5-6 days and symptoms of cold includes a sore throat, cough, sneezing and running nose. Common Cold is a self-limited virus which is limited for some time and also can be a cure or treated at home.
Common causes of Cold:
- It can cause you cold if someone near you or some individual sneeze or cough and you inhale that air-borne virus then it may cause you cold.
- A person suffering from cold after sneezing or coughing they rub their nose or mouth and after a short period of time they toches someone or shakes hand with someone can cause cold to another person who is in contact with the sufferer.
- This virus can stay on objects like books, pen or any other objects and after sharing these objects the virus may be in contact with you and cause you a cold.
Common Symptoms of Cold:
These symptoms can be usually seen after 2 to 3 days of getting an infection, It depends on different types of viruses different symptoms are seen in different people.
Here are some of them:
- Stuffy or a Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Watery eyes
Treatment Options for Cold:
- There is no specific cure found for curing a cold, Antibiotics given by doctors may kill bacteria but not viruses and there is no use of treating cold as they are self-limited.
- Drink plenty of water because it will prevent you from dehydration and keep your throat moisturized.
- If you are suffering from mild fever (Not high Fever) and pain in throat, sore throat as well as cold you can take some medication such as Acetaminophen (Tylenol), or Naproxen (Aleve) or any other medication to reduce your pain and fever.
- By inhaling steam may relieve you from your stuffy nose.
- Get plenty of rest.
- While Medications use your doctor’s advice because some of the medications that contain Aspirin which is harmful to children and teenagers.
Prevention of Cold:
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes.
- Do not share your cosmetics, Utensils, towels, etc.
- Wash your hands frequently.
Foods that should be eaten and avoided when suffering from Cold:
- Caffeinated drink or Soda and Alchohol must be avoided, where some people think that drinking milk or eating dairy products will increase their problems but that’s not the case. Instead, you can also prefer fruits juice, herbal tea or hot soups.
- You can eat foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals, boosts your immune system, or helps you provide energy because when you suffer from cold or fever your appetite is reduced but if you don’t eat enough you will not get the required energy to fight that infections.
- Drinking plenty of water or fluids is important as well to recover you fast from cold infection, it helps to lose the mucus in your nose and relieve congestion.
- Include highly nutritious food in your diet like eggs, broccoli, grains, veggies, chicken, nuts, etc.
- Eating spicy foods may help you if you are dealing with a blocked nose, stuffy nose or blocked sinus.