Rice is a whole grain consumed by people around the world. Mainly there are two types, white rice vs brown rice which is most popular in the world.
|Brown Rice vs White Rice|
From both white rice is the most commonly consumed all over Asia whereas brown rice is nowadays most preferred due to its healthy and nutritious content present in it.
Also, some people consider brown rice has clean, healthy, and good option whereas white rice is considered an unhealthy and bad option because white rice may gain you a huge amount of fat.
- 1 Difference between brown rice and white rice:
- 2 The nutritional difference between Brown Rice vs white rice:
- 3 What’s the nutritional difference between brown rice and white rice
- 4 Fiber content
- 5 Manganese
- 6 Magnesium
- 7 Folate
- 8 Fat
- 9 Carbs and protein content
- 10 Glycemic index difference between white rice and brown rice:
- 11 Calories difference between brown rice and white rice:
- 12 Brown rice vs white rice for weight loss:
- 13 White rice is equally beneficial for weight loss as brown rice because of following reasons:
Difference between brown rice and white rice:
Brown rice is a whole grain that contains husk, bran, and germ which makes them nutrition rich with fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
White rice is a refined grain from which husk, bran, and germ are removed from brown rice through a machining process which makes them lack of fiber nutrients.
The nutritional difference between Brown Rice vs white rice:
Both white rice and brown rice are rich in carbohydrates but only the difference is white rice lacks the nutrients that are present in brown rice (whole grain) because they are refined which removes most of its nutrition.
What’s the nutritional difference between brown rice and white rice
- Brown rice contains higher fiber content than white rice.
- Brown rice provides 3 gram more fiber when compared to white rice.
- Brown rice is an excellent source of Manganese nutrient that is essential for energy production and high in antioxidants when compared with white rice.
- Brown rice also contains a high amount of magnesium which is necessary for bone development, blood coagulation and muscle contraction which lacks in white rice.
- When compared to brown rice, white rice is a good source of folate content which is essential for our bodies genetic development, cell growth, and proper blood circulation.
- Brown rice with healthy nutrients it also contains more amount of fat compared to white rice.
Carbs and protein content
- Carbs and protein content in brown rice and white rice are almost equal.
- The above nutrients are the only difference that makes brown rice and white rice different but they are equally beneficial on their own.
Glycemic index difference between white rice and brown rice:
- Glycemic index is a ranking of carbohydrates in foods.
- Foods with low glycemic index are slow in digestion, absorption and do not spike blood sugar level or insulin levels whereas foods with high glycemic index are quick in digestion, absorption, and spike blood sugar level or insulin levels.
- White rice is high in glycemic index of 70 (depends on the brand or manufacturer) which means it digests fast spikes our insulin level or blood sugar levels.
- Brown rice is low in glycemic index of 52 (depends on the brand or manufacturer) which means it is slow to digest and does not spike our insulin level or blood sugar levels.
Calories difference between brown rice and white rice:
|Nutrients||Brown Rice (long-grain)||White Rice (long-grain)|
|Energy||219 cal||206 cal|
Brown rice vs white rice for weight loss:
- When it comes to weight loss every individual is confused that which rice is better for weight loss? Is it Brown or white?
- Not because brown rice is a whole grain healthy nutritious filled with lots of fiber it will help you with weight loss.
- It depends from person to person with their digestive system, insulin levels, body type etc.
White rice is equally beneficial for weight loss as brown rice because of following reasons:
- People overall Asian countries mostly eat white rice but they don’t suffer from obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and hypertension or anything close compared to Western rates.
- Brown rice with husk, bran, and germ is difficult to digest especially for people who are suffering from bloating, indigestion or gastric problems.
- Brown rice also contains an anti-nutrient called phytic acid located in the husk of brown rice which reduces the ability of our body to absorb healthy nutrients like iron, zinc, and magnesium from our diet.
- Although it all depends on your meal size or portion size of your meal which you include with your rice like vegetables, curry, salads, dal etc. whether it is Brown or White rice.